CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The theme for this year’s congress is Food Science & Technology for the 21st Century and will cover aspects such as Food Safety and Control, Food Health and Nutrition, Innovation and Marketing Challenges and many more relevant and related topics.
The programme structure is such to ensure that the participants get value for their money by including keynote addresses, plenary lectures and parallel sessions, including topic specific sessions. We are committed to organizing and hosting a world-class Food Science and Technology event.
Submit Online here
PLEASE READ THE GUIDELINES BELOW BEFORE SUBMITTING AN ABSTRACT
ABSTRACT SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Original Research Abstract Submissions:
Abstracts of original research, for presentation as orals or posters, or covering topics of commercial appeal are invited to be presented at the Congress. Submitted abstracts should be original, topical and current. Original research papers are defined as those that cover specific, new and original research that have not been previously accepted for publication in a journal, presented in another conference or be under review at another conference.
Commercial Appeal Abstract Submissions:
Commercial appeal abstracts can be defined as abstracts not covering original research, but rather focusing on new applications of scientific research, review type papers, market research, consumer trends, regulatory guidelines or papers with a generic appeal to food industries, academia or consumers but still based on sound science. These abstracts are not intended for advertising specific products, companies or services.
Participants wishing to contribute to the scientific programme of the congress are kindly requested to submit their abstracts before the deadline date of 22 March 2019.
All abstracts to be submitted online through the online submission system
Abstracts submitted by email, post or fax will not be accepted. The scientific programme committee will endeavour to schedule abstracts according to the author’s preferences but reserves the right to decide on the final form.
The scientific programme will strive to address global food science and technology issues in the following topics in the plenary sessions, parallel sessions, poster sessions, specialist symposia, workshops and sessions with commercial appeal:
- Food Safety, Control and Regulation
- Food Security, Nutrition and Well Being
- Consumers in the 21st century: Trends
- Functional Foods
- Convenience Food
- Innovation in the Food and Beverage Industry
- Sensory and Consumer Science
- Environmental Sustainability and Waste Management
- Novel and Emerging Technologies in Food and Beverages
- Foodomics, Big Data, Artificial Intelligence and the food industry
- Food Packaging
- Shelf life of food and prevention of losses
- Food Chemistry and Analysis
- Food Microbiology
- What is new in meat, dairy, fruit & vegetables, cereals and legume, fats and oils science?
- Water in the Food Industry
- Crisis Management and Product Recalls
HOW TO SUBMIT AN ABSTRACT:
The congress offers a text-based submission form where you will be required to enter the information regarding your abstract, such as title, authors, biography, etc. Submitting an abstract is a multi-step process and each step asks several questions:
- Log in to the submission system when you have prepared your abstract – enter your email address and the password you chose when you registered with the system.
- You will be taken to a screen from which the submission process starts. Please read the instructions on this screen carefully. If you want to submit a new abstract you should click the link that says ‘Click here to submit a new abstract’.
- Submitting an abstract is a multi-step process. Each step asks several questions. Some questions are marked ‘required’ and you will not be able to complete your submission until these questions have been answered.
- If you have to stop part way through the process your submission will be held in a temporary storage until you return later and complete all of the questions. When you log in again you can click on your incomplete abstract and resume submission.
- You will be able to amend a submission up until the deadline date. You will need to login and click on your existing submission. Complete the steps and click finish to confirm your changes. Again a confirmation email will be sent to you with the abstract that was uploaded onto the system.
- To withdraw an abstract please contact Lethisha Narayan Lethishah@turnersconferences.co.za for assistance.
All submissions should be of original research and should preferably not have been previously accepted for publication in a journal, presented in another conference or be under review at another conference. The abstract (maximum 350 words) should contain the following sections: Introduction, Methodology, Results and Discussion and Conclusions.
The introduction should give a brief background of the research topic, stating the problem and leading to the aim of the specific research.
A brief description of the methodology and techniques used in the research should be given.
The results and discussion section should give a concise presentation of experimental results obtained and highlight any trends or points of interest. Statements such as “results will be presented” or “will be discussed” are not acceptable and such abstracts will be rejected.
A brief explanation of the significance and implications of the work reported should conclude the abstract.
At least one author of the paper must register in full to attend the congress and present the paper/poster if the submission is accepted. Failure to do so will result in the paper being withdrawn from the programme.
Acceptance / Rejection of Abstracts:
The scientific programme committee will review all submitted abstracts and reserves the right to accept or reject any abstract. Selected abstracts will be presented as oral or poster presentations. Authors of abstracts accepted will receive notification and information regarding their presentation from the 30th of April 2019. All authors will be informed in writing of the details concerning the exact time and date of their presentation. Poster presenters will be notified of the poster size and guidelines in writing as well.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS: 22 MARCH 2019
NOTIFICATION OF ABSTRACT ACCEPTANCE: From 30 APRIL 2019
AUTHOR REGISTRATION DEADLINE AND EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION DEADLINE: 30 JUNE 2019